Smoky Mountain Burger
French’s French Fried Onions. Tell me you’ve heard of them. Traditionally, they are the required topper to the much-loved green bean casserole that graces every Thanksgiving sideboard. In fact, every Southern cook knows to head straight for the canned vegetable aisle at the supermarket where you’ll find them right next to the canned green beans.
But these little crunchy, salty, oh-so-bad-for-you treats have such a broader life to live than just sitting atop canned green beans and cream of mushroom soup. They are the perfect foil for the creamy coleslaw that tops the Smoky Mountain burger. We are very partial to coleslaw as a sandwich topping in the South, whether it be on a pulled pork sandwich or a burger.
Note: If you have access to Sister Schubert’s Dinner Yeast Rolls, make the burgers smaller and serve them as sliders. Burger’s on yeast rolls? Quintessentially Southern. And delicious.
The taste of smoky grilled beef burgers is indescribable....So you better make these to know why they are my favorite!
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce
- Six ¼-inch thick slices of smoked Cheddar cheese
- Prepared coleslaw
- Barbecue sauce
- French’s French Fried Onions
- Six Kaiser rolls
- Combine chuck, salt, pepper and steak sauce. Using two forks, mix meat mixture until well combined.
- Divide meat mixture into six patties, making an indentation in the middle of each to allow even grilling.
- Heat grill to medium high.
- Slip the burgers onto the grill using a large spatula. Cover and grill for four minutes. Flip burgers and grill an additional three minutes.
- Place cheese slices on top of burgers and close lid to melt cheese, approximately 30 seconds. Remove burgers from grill.
- Split Kaiser rolls and grill until lightly toasted.
- Spread barbecue sauce on the bottom bun. Top with the burger, a healthy dollop of coleslaw, French Fried onions and the top of the bun.
This recipe created for Char-Broil by Catherine Mayhew of SouthinMy Mouth.com