This recipe takes store-bought ingredients to a whole new level. It’s a quick dessert that everyone loves and it’s a treat to serve dessert from the grill. This galette, which is really just a rustic pie, features the creaminess of a cheesecake and the sweet juiciness of the fruit that only a grill can produce. It’s simple, but decadent. The great thing about a galette is you don’t have to worry about having a perfect crust. This free-form galette can have nooks and crannies perfect for collecting a stray bit of sweet apple. It’s perfect with all its imperfections.
You can swap out the apples for any seasonal fruit or other canned variety. You can add an apple liqueur to the cheesecake batter for a more adult dessert. Adding toasted almond slivers or pecans to the apples would also be options. This is a great method of baking on your grill. No more overheated kitchens in spring and summer – do your baking outside on your grill from start to sweet finish and wow your guests. I baked my galette on my Char-Broil Performance TRU-Infrared grill.
Salted caramel apple cheesecake rustic galette
Salted caramel apple cheesecake rustic galette all done on the grill. A tasty treat that you can make with just a few simple ingredients.
- 1 can apple pie filling (18-21 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 store-bought frozen pie crust thawed
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour for dusting
- 1/2 cup caramel topping mixed with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water for an egg wash
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat the grill by turning one burner on high and leaving the other burners off. Place a baking sheet or pizza stone on the unlit side.
- Toss the apples with cinnamon in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Using a mixer, whip the cream cheese and the sugar until fluffy. Add the egg, cornstarch, whipping cream and vanilla and continue to beat until smooth.
- Roll out the pastry dough on a floured piece of parchment paper until it is a flat circle.
- Using a spatula, spread the cream cheese filling on the pie leaving a 2-inch space around the perimeter.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup of the salted caramel onto the cream cheese layer.
- Spread the apples and cinnamon on top of the cream cheese.
- Fold over the edge of the crust all around the pie.
- Brush the pie edge with the egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Place the galette on the pizza stone, leaving the pie on the parchment paper.
- Close the grill lid.
- After 15 minutes open the lid and turn the pie.
- After an additional 15 minutes open the lid and turn the pie again. This will ensure you have a nicely browned crust all around the edges.
- Bake on the grill another 10 minutes or until the apples are bubbling and the crust is nicely browned.
- Remove from the grill and cool slightly.
- Drizzle with remaining caramel and sprinkle with additional sea salt if desired.