- 4 jalapeños
- 1½ pounds okra, stems trimmed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the jalapeños into coins about ¼ inch thick. Thread the okra crosswise onto 2 skewers, building a ladder of sorts so the okra won’t spin on the skewer and inserting slices of jalapeño every other pod or so, depending on how much kick you want.
- Brush with canola oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to the medium-hot grill and cook until bright green and tender, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and serve immediately.
All recipes reprinted from: “Basic to Brilliant, Y’all: 150 Refined Southern Recipes and Ways to Dress Them Up for Company” (Ten Speed Press, September 2011), written by Virginia Willis.