Grilled Tomahawk Ribeye Steaks – The Prep
Grilled Tomahawk Ribeye Steaks
Char-Broil All-Star Chef David Olson offers succulent recipes he demonstrated for Father’s Day LIVE on The Weather Channel June 15, 2013.
Tune in to The Weather Channel every Saturday morning through June 22 to watch “The Outdoor Chef”. You’ll get great grilling tips and recipes from Char-Broil All-Stars at 40 minutes past the hour, starting at 7:40 a.m. EST. For more recipes, tips and tricks from The Weather Channel’s “Outdoor Chef” segment, please visit http://live.charbroil.com/twc
- Get steaks to room temperature prior to grilling.
- Sear over high, direct heat for 4 minutes per side, then move to indirect heat, basting intermittently.
- Medium Rare – 130F. Medium – 140F. Medium Well – 150F.
- Rest under a tin foil tent for 3-5 minutes prior to slicing and serving.
These cowboy steaks are sure to satisfy the hungriest of appetites. They are not only full of flavor, but they are absolutely beautiful too!
Grilled Cowboy-Cut Tomahawk Ribeye Steaks
These are the "Fred Flintstones" of steaks. These massive cuts are well seasoned with perfect marbling. They are bone-in ribreyes! This recipe will make you the next backyard BBQ hero!
- 1 bone-in cowboy-cut ribeye steak, +2" thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for basting
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus additional to garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Chopped green spring onions, to garnish
- Trim excess fat from steaks, pat dry, liberally rub-in dry seasonings and sugar, wrap tightly with plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour, up to 4 hours.
- Remove steaks and bring to room temperature, 20 minutes prior to grilling.
- Unwrap steaks from plastic and brush with olive oil.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill to hot.
- Lay steaks over hottest grill grates and sear 4-5 minutes per side, turning 1/4 turn after 2 minutes.
- Move steaks to cooler, indirectly heated grill grates and cook until desired internal temperature reached, basting intermittently with olive oil and flipping once every 5-10 minutes using tongs.
- Grill to medium-rare at 145F. Grill to medium at 155F. Grill to medium-well at 165F.
- Remove steaks from grill and tent with tin foil for 5 minutes, allowing meat to reabsorb its juices.
- To serve, top with tablespoon of butter, additional seasonings to taste, and thyme to garnish.