Cajun spices are the favorite flavors for fried turkey – and in the traditional “hot oil” frying these can only be injected or applied after the turkey is cooked. With this method in The Big Easy, you can apply a Cajun spice rub on the outside of your turkey, as well as stuff it with aromatic spices and inject it with marinade – for the complete “Louisiana Style” experience.
Fried Turkey "Louisiana-Style " in The Big Easy
Cajun spices are the favorite flavors for fried turkey - and in the traditional "hot oil" frying these can only be injected or applied after the turkey is cooked. With this method in The Big Easy, you can apply a Cajun spice rub on the outside of your turkey, as well as stuff it with aromatic spices and inject it with marinade - for the complete "Louisiana Style" experience.
- Whole turkey (see product manual for size recommendation)
- 3 tablespoons Peanut oil
- Creaole Seasoning dry rub (Lower sugar contents)
- Optional Inject turkey with Cajun-style seas
- Remove the giblets, neck, etc.
- Remove any plastic or metal ties used to hold legs or cavity in place.
- Brine overnight if desired.
- Remove from brine about 1 hour prior to cooking, rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- Apply dry rub between skin and meat if desired, rub on the outside will flavor the skin and not the meat.
NOTE:_At this time, you may also inject the turkey with the marinade._
- Lightly spray or brush peanut oil on outside of turkey.
- Place turkey, legs down in the cooking basket.
- NOTE:_To help prevent sticking, oil the wire in the cooking basket before placing turkey in it._
- Insert meat thermometer in the breast so that the tip does not touch bone and the dial is easily read when the basket is in the cooker.
- Light the burner according to instructions in manual - no pre-heating required.
- Plan to cook the turkey for approximately 10 minutes per pound - and monitor the temperature closely as the last "planned" 20 minutes begin.
- When the thermometer registers about 5 degrees below the target temperature of 165F degrees - turn off the cooker and remove the cooking basket with the turkey in it. Place the basket in a shallow jelly roll pan and rest for about 15 minutes while the turkey continues to cook from internal heat.
- Remove the turkey from the cooking basket.
Tip: You can use your hands to make sure the turkey doesn't get hung up while trying to remove...and invert the basket and allow the turkey to gently "fall" out.
- After the turkey rests for about 20 - 30 minutes total it will be ready to carve.
*Cooking times are approximate. The actual cook time will depend on the size of your turkey.