CB?s EZ Grilled Duck Breasts with Sweet Potato Frites
- 2 (6 ? 8 oz) medium-size duck breasts
- 1 medium-size sweet potato
- 4 tablespoons fruity extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon high-temperature cooking oil (i.e. canola or grape seed oil)
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chinese-style dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dry ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat grill to HIGH and make sure the grates are CLEAN.
- If desired add damp wood chips to smoker box and place on grates to begin smoke process
- Pre-heat cast-iron skillet to HOT, add 1 tsp of high-temp cooking oil like Canola or Grape Seed
- Place duck breasts in skillet fat-side down (when placing anything into a frying pan with hot oil, gently lay it down so it touches closest to you and then lays down away from you?to reduce the risk of oil splashing. You may also want to pierce the skin in several places to help the fat escape as it heats and melts)
- Leave the breasts alone without moving or lifting for about 3-4 minutes --- pay attention to the edges of the meat and you?ll start to see the skin turning brown ? you can peak then!
- When the skin has turned golden brown turn the duck breasts over and sear the meat for just a minute or less ? then lift and place meat side down on the clean grates of the grill.
- Reduce the heat to medium or less under the duck breasts and close the lid.
- Allow to cook with smoke if desired for about 4 minutes ? then remove and cover so the meat will continue to cook and come up to temp (about 135F for rare) while the juices redistribute.
- Add remaining high-heat oil to skillet where duck fat has rendered and allow to heat to smoke point ? but not burn
- Remove sweet potato slices from water, pat dry in towel and place about half of them in the hot oil of skillet.
- Allow fries to cook in oil until tender to fork pierce ? removed and place in warming tray in grill while you finish all fries
- When all frites have cooked - remove all from warming tray and place in hot oil again and brown.
- After frites are browned ? place on paper towels to drain a bit then sprinkle with parmesan cheese and chopped parsley while still hot ? toss lightly and arrange on plate.
- Slice duck breast across the grain of meat ? not lengthwise ? and serve with sweet potato fries.
- Dress frites and plate with small amount of olive oil drizzled on frites and plate